Polymer Degradation and Performance
- Majewski, K., Cosgriff, E., Bhattacharya, M. and S.C. Mantell, (2018) “Fracture Properties of HDPE Exposed to Chlorinated Water,” ANTEC 2018, Society of Plastics Engineers, Orlando, FL. Best Paper.
- Cosgriff, E., Bhattacharya, M. and S.C. Mantell, (2017) “Method for Degrading Polyethylene Sheet Samples in an Oxidative Environment,” ANTEC 2017, Society of Plastics Engineers, Las Vegas, NV.
- Tripathi, A., Mantell, S., and J.L. Le (2017).“Modeling of Cohesive Fracture Interacting with a Stationary Capillary Fluid,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 182, 19-31.
- Ge, H., Le, J. L., & Mantell, S. C. (2016). “Numerical modeling of stress corrosion cracking of polymers.” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 160, 199-212.
Composite Manufacturing Processes
- Secord, T.W., Mantell, S.C., and K. Stelson (2011), “Scaling Analysis and a Critical Thickness Criterion for Thermosetting Composites,” ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 133(1)DOI: 10.1115/1.4003338.
- Parthasarathy, S., Mantell, S.C., and Stelson, K., (2004), "Estimation, Control and Optimization of Curing in Thick-Sectioned Composite Parts", ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, 126 (December), pp. 1-10.
- Novaes, J. B., Talma, E., Las Casas, E. B., Aregawi, W., Kolstad, L. W., Mantell, S., Yan, W. and A. Fok, (2018). “Can pulpal floor debonding be detected from occlusal surface displacement in composite restorations?” Dental Materials, 34(1), 161-169.
- Wickham Kolstad, L., Fok, A., and Mantell, S.Validation of a Constitutive Model for Dental Composites during Cure.American Association for Dental Research (AADR) Annual Meeting, March 16-19, 2016, Los Angeles, CA.
Structural Health Monitoring
- Lim, D.-W., Mantell, S. C., and Seiler, P. J. (2017) “Wireless monitoring algorithm for wind turbine blades using Piezo-electric energy harvesters,” Wind Energy, 20: 551–565. doi: 10.1002/we.2023. (available online in 2016)
- Lim, D. W., Mantell, S. C., & Seiler, P. J. (2014). “Wireless Structural Health Monitoring of Wind Turbine Blades Using an Energy Harvester as a Sensor.” AIAA 52nd Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 32nd ASME Wind Energy Symposium, National Harbor, Maryland.
- Lim, D., Mantell, S., Seiler, P., and R. Yang, (2013) “Wind Turbine Blades as a Strain Energy Source for Energy Harvesting,” AIAA 51st Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Grapevine Texas, AIAA-2013-0457.
- Ali, S.M., Mantell, S.C., and E. Longmire (2012), “Experimental Technique for Fatigue Testing of MEMS in Liquids,” IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 21 (3), pp. 520-522.
- Ali, S.M., Mantell, S.C., and E. Longmire (2011), “Mechanical Performance of Microcantilevers in Liquids,” IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 20 (2), pp. 441-450.
- Hautamaki, C., Cao, L., Zhou, J., Mantell, S. C., and Kim, T.-S. (2003). "Calibration of MEMS strain Sensors Fabricated on Silicon:Theory and Results." Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 12(5), 720-727.
- Cao, L., Mantell, S. C., and Polla, D. (2001). “Design and Simulation of an Implantable Medical Drug Delivery System using Microelectromechanical Systems Technology.” Sensors and Actuators A, 94, 117-125.
Polymer Composites for Solar Applications
- Gladen, A., Mantell, S. and Davidson, J. (2015). “Numerical Evaluation of the Optical Properties of Encapsulated Phase Change Particles for Thermotropic Materials, ” ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, 7(3), 031002.
- Gladen, A. C., Davidson, J. H., and Mantell, S. C. (2015). “The Effect of a Thermotropic Material on the Optical Efficiency and Stagnation Temperature of a Polymer Flat Plate Solar Collector.” Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 137(2), 021003.
- Gladen, A., Mantell, S. and J. Davidson (2014), “A parametric numerical study of radiative transfer in thermotropic materials,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer also appeared in ASME 2013 Heat Transfer Summer Conference collocated with the ASME 2013 7th International Conference on Energy Sustainability and the ASME 2013 11th International Conference on Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology
- Gladen, A., Davidson, J. H., and Mantell, S. C. (2014), “Selection of thermotropic materials for overheat protection of polymer absorbers,” Solar Energy